Friday, November 7, 2008

Hiked down to mile and a half. Yesterday my knee starting acting up. I felt like one of those old ladies hobbling about the mall. So we took it easy today, and I used my sticks.

If you don't get started before eight, you have to wait until after nine to avoid the mules. It is colder than snot on the rim, though, so a later start works OK.

CH carved his name into the Coconino, too deeply to get out easily, so I'll have to tell the rangers about that one and let them fill it in. He or she took a long time to get it that deep, and I am sure someone saw it, but no one smote him mightily about the head and shoulders with a hiking stick. Or a large rock.

Saw the baby bighorn and his mama. They were right in the middle of the trail, so we waited politely. Just as well, because daddy showed up acting macho and pushed them both out of the way.

Passed by a group of Mennonites, and one of the ladies complimented my hiking skirt. I have been hiking around in a skirt for over a year now, because it is cooler, and doesn't chafe, and gives a certain amount of privacy on overnights. Usually I just get a "don't make eye contact" glance. Occasionally someone thinks I am a guy and makes a comment about my kilt, until I get closer and they get really quiet all of a sudden. These ladies thought a nylon skirt was pretty nifty.

And now for a brief commercial announcement. I had an old 2 liter Platypus water carrier that I've used for about a hundred years, and it started to leak. I sent it back to Cascade Designs (lifetime warranty) and they replaced it with a brand-new, BPA free, hoser. I guess they don't make my antique anymore. That's service!

No comments: