Saturday, November 8, 2008


Brad is trying slowly to get me to the river and back in a day. Last time we hiked to the Tipoff and back, today to Panorama Point and back. A lovely clear day with a hint of a wind.

Erased three separate graffiti panels. Who are these clowns and why are they allowed in my Canyon?

A boy scout leader asked if I was doing a single dip, and I said, yes. So he asked what time I left the North rim. I said I left from the South rim, so I guess I was doing a half dip.

A young man in cheap flip flops wished us good luck. as usual it took me a few minutes to come up with the perfect rejoinder, which was, "in the words of the immortal Reinhold Messner, I don't believe in luck." But it wasn't worth hiking back down to deliver it.

Met Dave Myer, the manager of Phantom Ranch. We saw him on the trail a few weeks ago, as well. He remembered us and chatted. That is a real professional: he makes everyone feel like a best friend.

Met another group of Scouts, these younger than the first group. One boy was commented, "But everyone loves the Boy Scouts...don't they?" I really doubt that most scout groups carve their names in the rocks, or cut switchbacks, or do other rude things, but of course, one troop does it and that is what we remember. I have commented before to Boy Scout Central Office that if they want to clean up their reputation, they need to rein in the mavericks. All I get back is: our leaders are volunteers and we have no control over them.

Two hours, 15 minutes down, two hours 20 minutes out, including waiting for mules and a couple of bathroom stops. Passed by a runner who spent a few hours sleeping on the bottom who was on his way to Mt. Humphreys. Ninety miles, and one tries to do it in 24 hours. A big storm moving in tonight, so I hope he doesn't get caught out in his little silk shorts and sleeveless shirt. I must assume someone is meeting him with water, food, more clothes, etc.

No comments: