Sunday, September 7, 2008


Sept 7

Yesterday we mountain biked 4 hours, so we only hike to Three Mile today. Nice new trailwork below Two Mile Corner: thank you trail crew!

Erased Zaco's name at Three Mile. Too bad, so sad, Zaco. If it sounds as though I am mocking you, you are correct.

Passed two commercial groups. I have heard a number of guides tell people that the pictographs at the first tunnel might be children's drawings. I've never heard that theory anywhere else. By the time these kids were five years old, they were contributing members of the clan, guarding the crops and bringing home small game. If they did leave pictographs, they were probably reglious in intent. Of course they also tell people that the red is cochineal, and it isn't: it is hematite. According to the Park Archeologist, and we assume she knows more than these guys.

Picked up a soda can and someone's sweat rag. The rag is understandable. I've lost a few bandanas both out of my pocket or off my neck. The can was hidden in a bush.

When I find trash in the middle of the trail, I figure these people are ignorant. No excuse, but they are ignorant. Ancient curses be on their heads. When I find trash hidden in the bushes or under a rock, they knew they weren't supposed to leave stuff, and they did anyway. So double ancient curses be on their heads.

No comments: