Sunday, September 28, 2008

Friday we hiked to Three Mile Rest house and out. Some rather nice young people on the trail. They had apparently been informed that uphill has the right of way, and they did not shortcut the trail or write their names on the rocks. The girls were a bit loud, but I have a personal theory that young women are incapable of talking at less than a shriek. They were heading for the River and back, so I hope they did Okay.

On the way out we waited for the mules and one of the riders comforted me: "Don't worry; you'll make it". All I really need in life is to be patronized by a mule rider. What does one say? How would you know? So could you if you tried? You and the mule you rode in on?

Saturday and Sunday we joined a Geology Class from Mesa Community College and hiked in and out of Roaring Springs on the North Kaibab. Nice bunch of kids, and talented instructors. I was the only one to find trilobite tracks, even though Dr. Bob dismisssed them as "subtle". Jealosy is an ugly thing, Dr. Bob.

We made it out very quickly, and while waiting at the trailhead were inundated by rim to rim runners chain smoking cigars. When they started talking politics, we hiked back down aways to wait for our group. I tried to get a nap, but everyone who came by asked if I was all right.

Robert made me a "I aten't dead" sign (which isn't funny for anyone but a Terry Pratchett fan) and I obviously should have had it on me.

No comments: