Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sept 13

Today is Grand Canyon Association Members' Weekend. I attend Bruce Aiken's talk and then take Mike's Canyon trivia quiz. I get 19 out of 21 correct, but I can't win the prize because I am a professional. I have the same problem when the Phantom Ranger does a Grand Canyon Jeopardy program: I am not allowed to answer any questions unless everyone else misses it. Although there is usually at least one that I do get to answer.

I had an issue with one of Mike's questions: how many overnight hikers in the Canyon each year. He said 30,000, and I thought it was more than that. According to the National Park Website it is 40,000, so I only missed one and a half questions. So, ha! Still don't get the prize, though.

During lunch I hike to mile and a half. I am almost never on the trail this late in the day, so to amuse myself I count hikers. On the way down, I pass or meet 109 hikers. On the way up, 246!!

Four million people visit the Canyon every year, and it is said that ten percent of that number hike at least a mile below the rim. Apparently most of that traffic is on the Bright Angel.

No comments: