Saturday, April 11, 2009


When the weather forecast says 80% chance of rain, and snow accumulation of 2 inches, and you hike to Three Mile anyway, you get wet.

It started out really pretty, with the clouds moving around and swirling through the buttes, but then the rain moved in. We ran down to three mile and visited the new bathroom. It is so new there isn't even any graffiti on the doors. How does the old poem go? A man's ambition must be small, to write his name on the outhouse wall?

We then ate a snack in the rest house. A backpacker came in and a lady asked him if there was a bathroom. He said, "I think they are supposed to open one."

I said, "It's open".

He said, "They were building one, I know."

I said, "It's open".

The lady said, "Well, I saw the new building." IT'S OPEN! The invisible woman lives.

A runner on his way down asked if the trail got any less muddy, and I told him, dream on, so he turned around. He was headed for Phantom Ranch and out, but noon is a little late to start if you ask me. Not a good day to be dressed in shorts. I had wool on from the skin out, and I was warm enough until I got to the top and stopped hiking.

Passed a lady coming down who asked if it is really harder coming out. I said, "Not at all. The Park Service just hires me to breathe hard as I climb out to scare people". An inch of new snow on the car when we got out.

No comments: