Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday we didn't get enough snow to close school (even though every other school in Northern Arizona is closed) but we did get a two hour delay. We hiked down to the second tunnel on the Bright Angel. Started out in the dark with our headlamps. Only one set of tracks ahead of us on the trail.

At the first tunnel we heard a shout: "Turn off your lights!'. We stopped, understandably confused. "Turn off your lights! The mules are coming!". So we did.

The pack mules passed us. I guess our lights would destroy their night vision. Without headlamps I could see Okay, but not enough to trust myself on the trail with that drop-off on my right. I let the mules get ahead and turned my lights back on. I figured that was allowed, or else imagine the lawsuits? Xanterra TOLD me to hike down in the dark with no lights...

Very quiet, very alone (except for the mules) and our leds made the falling snow look like it was strobing.

No comments: