Friday, February 6, 2009


Hiked down to mile and a half before a meeting. The meeting was at 10, so we could actually walk down in the daylight. Nasty glare ice until Kolb seep and little patches beyond down the fault switchbacks. I stopped and put on my crampons at the first tunnel, but Brad had to be stubborn and made it all the way down without. He did put them on to start back up, though.

Met no one. Heard a Canyon Wren. I have only started hearing them in the last couple of weeks. On the way out met one hiker and two groups of mules. Very nice sunrise, though the subtle color doesn't show up in the pictures.

CH is still carved in the Coconino. I've reported it to the Ranger, but I guess they can't find it. I filled it in with some mud.

I remember when I took my Leave No Trace trainer class, I asked my instructor if anyone ever gives him a hard time in class. He said a Boy Scout leader from Utah demanded, "If I don't carve my name on an Indian ruin, how will people know I was there?" What makes him think anyone gives a bleep if he has been there? Wetherill carved his name on ruins he "discovered", even though he was guided to most of them. Rangers won't show these to you unless you insist, and then they make sure no one else sees it. They don't want anyone else thinking that because they drove into the area and walked a whole half mile with a ranger they, too, can carve their name into a 1,000 year old roof beam.

Walked to the post office via the rim trail. I met a guy walking my way from Yavapai, and he asked, "Is there a viewpoint this way?" I said, "There are 200 miles of viewpoints that way".

No comments: