Sunday, December 14, 2008


The true Leave No Trace person never forgets. The casual LNTer will pick up a piece of trash in the path, but the fanatic remembers things that have to be left for another day. Friday we noticed a bandanna hidden at Two Mile Corner. Ranger Smilin' Todd informs us that these are used as butt wipes and then abandoned (for good reason, I guess) so we do not want to tackle it without biohazard protective gear.

So today we waited for it to get above freezing, which it never did,but we went anyway and trotted back down armed with rubber gloves and a BIG trash bag and cleaned up Two Mile Corner. I also impaled myself trying to get a water bottle out of a current bush, until I finally remembered that I could extend the hiking pole and therefore my reach and snagged same.

So the Bright Angel Trail is pristine once again: at least until the next time someone can't make it all the way to the facilities at mile and a half and messes up Two Mile again.

The trail crew has been hard at work, and the section between Three Mile and Two Mile is pretty nice. The air has that between-storms clarity, and the Canyon looks very deep and very wide today.

I have been checking for rock-throwing persons whenever I have to walk under the "you're gonna die sign" and the Hermit Shuttle interchange, those being the two spots I have almost been nailed more than once. Too bad gravity works against me, or I could grab the rock and throw it back. Too bad I am never right on the spot, so the rock thrower could follow his rock on down...

No comments: