Sunday, December 7, 2008

I really wanted to hike the South Kaibab-Tonto-BA loop this weekend, but I was fighting off a low level infection Saturday, so spent the day grousing about how I hate being sick, and why does it have to be on the weekend?

So today we just went to Skeleton Point and back: six miles and 2000+ feet. Only two small grafittis in the coconino. Right next to one another, which supports the "broken window" theory. If there is a broken window in an abandoned home, vandals are more likely to break another. If there is writing on a rock, vandals are more likely to also write onthe rock.

Passed a Brit who bemoaned the fact that HE hadn't worn HIS hiking skirt. His daughter told him that no one wore them here, at least not males. I suppose in the country where they invented the kilt it is more acceptable.

Passed four teenage boys in the Chimney. They were cutting switchbacks, so Brad passed them at a run, informing them that cutting the trail doesn't save them any time. I caught them on the last switchback, and one of them turned a vido camera my way and asked: "anything to say?" I wanted to say, "Yeah, you've just been passed by a pair of geezers, one of whom is wearing a skirt," but I smiled and said, "Almost out!".

A very grey day, but it brought out the colors on the North Rim. Sometimes the Canyon looks so much deeper and wider than others. Today it looked very large indeed...

No comments: