Saturday, January 10, 2009



Spent the weekend at Phantom with girlfriends. We were in for the dorm, but I got on the waiting list at 6 AM and got upgraded to a cabin. A bit icy and sloppy on the way down until below O'Neil, then not bad. Trail crew is hard at work below the tipoff.

I have been staying at Phantom for 22 years, and I have never had the steak dinner. This time we did. I loved the baked potato and the veggies, but the steak was a little gristly. I've heard others complain about this as well. However, it was so huge that Kim and I split one and still couldn't finish it, so one can certainly work around the gristle.

Second day we climbed to Clear Creek overlook and watched a bald eagle fly below us. Then we got to see him/her in the cottonwood tree.

Hiked out in four and a half hours with a Canyon newbie, which isn't bad at all. They must have noticed us hiking too fast, because they posted a speed camera just below the tipoff:

No comments: