Sunday, September 27, 2020

First time I have been to Phantom since March, mostly because of the HEAT.  I had the chance for a cabin in August, but met with strong resistance from the other half.  Anyhow, I went down at 6 AM and took plenty of water so I could sit in the shade on the way down.  I knew that I could not check into the room until about 11:30, so why wait down there?

At Cedar a runner told me all he carries is Gu.  He said that the body only needs water to digest food, therefore without food, no one needs water.  Also, he never sweats while hiking the Canyon.  Perhaps because as soon as sweat hits the skin it EVAPORATES?

A new sign at Tim's Hut.  It appears as though one can now access the rainwater collected in the cisterns, which would be nice to wet down a shirt or some such.  However it must be a bit manky after sitting in the sun.  

Tim's Hut



The mules approach

Newly reopened silver bridge

The Big Shade

At The Big Shade ran into Rachael, who told me the Z's love my legos and the books I send them.  She said she and Brian talk about me all the time, and I suggested it was every time they stepped on a Lego.  

Once at the Ranch, there was a long line of rim to rim runners waiting for lemonade.  No beer sold, because their liquor license does not allow carry aways.  But no one was 6 feet apart. So I put my sticks akimbo, and people just stepped over them, saying, "ExCUSE me".  I said, "SIX feet". They would buy post cards and then stand there writing them so they did not have to stand in line again, and one kid wanted the wifi password and would not take no for an answer.  "I have to let my mother know I made it to the bottom safely."  Kid, she needs to know when you make it to the TOP safely.

Showers from 12-2 and 2-4 only so they can clean the showers in between, and we are to spray down with disinfectant before and after. I got in as soon as they unlocked so the showers would be nice and clean.  Dinners served in a big bag with the name on it and taken back to the cabin to eat, or at one of the tables in front.  The trash is given back, 

On the way out I thought I saw someone carrying a bagpipe.  Turned out to be a kayak paddle. which made much more sense.  There were so many hikers I put on my face shield as well as my mask, and when I stepped aside for a couple who were obviously not going to step aside for me, the lady said, in a sugar sweet voice usually reserved for three-year olds: "Oh, look, she has on a face shield".  I guess the Pandemic is over.  

One of my extra water bottles started leaking through the lid, so I hiked out with a wet butt.  I guess as a cooling system, it works better than relying on Gu. 



 

No comments: