Saturday, October 27, 2012

I don't know what was going on this morning on the South Kaibab, but every bus dropped off at least a dozen people who, apparently, were heading in and out in the same day.  One group, who kept exhorting one another to "pick up the pace" wanted to know how far it was "to the bar" and decided they would be able to get a beer by 10:30 at the latest.  They are at one of the seven wonders of the world, and a world heritage site, and all they want is a brewski.  Who are these people and who allowed them into the Canyon?

Finished my first fully catered hike.  A very special, once only affair with a chef.  Not only do guiding companies in the Canyon bring and cook all the food, it is fresh.  Eggs and potatoes.  Fresh vegetable pasta.  Zucchini fritters with freshly made ricotta cheese.  Made from fresh, whole milk.  Of course, anything not eaten must be carried out.  Wet.  Heavy. 

I have been berated by clients of these groups that THEY have fresh salmon for dinner, or breast of chicken.  While I have something dry in a bag.  Yeah, but I can come back by myself with my dry stuff in a bag.  Let's see them try a rim to rim on their own with their salmon fillets and whole milk.  It is as though the food is a more valuable experience than the Canyon.  And I bet they can't name the four members of the Supai Group. 

No comments: