Sunday, October 13, 2019

Since I hurt my foot in January, we have been biking a lot.  Over 1200 miles, actually.  When I did my North rim Sampler, the first night my foot hurt so much I couldn't sleep.  I was thinking: what now?  I have to finish this class, and there is no one available this week to take it over.

This October break I decided I should not do my rim to rim, because if the foot acted up, I would be in trouble.  So we signed up for the White Rim with Western Spirit bikes.  We have done the WR, but one person has to drive, which is no fun, so we might as well let the professionals drive.

Wes and Rob were our fearless leaders.  The forecast was perfect: warm, dry, and moderate. Two days before the trip a cold front moved in. Oops.  First night at Potato Bottom was windy, gale force windy, and cold.  Second night at the Hogback was cold, but no wind.  Third night at the Airport was the coldest, but no wind.  Riding temps were perfect, though. And climbing out Shafer the weather was wonderful.

The other four men on the trip (me, Brad, and four guys) we hot shot road bikers.  I would start out alone at the start of the day, and would be passed in short order.  However, coming out the Shafer, Brad was first and I was second.  Living and training at 7,000 feet, guys. 
Brad at the Black Crack

Flake at the Hog back.  We did put it back where we found it.  

Mussleman Arch.  It said not to walk on the arch: did not say not to ride bikes across. Which we didn't. 

At the top of Shafer. 

No comments: