Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wow, Phantom Ranch two weeks in a row.  One week working (which means I got paid to take a batch of great ladies in and out) and one with old buddies.  First trip down we were sitting at the six thirty dinner (stew), and the server asked one of us to move and make room for another chair.  Then a woman starting running around, and finally brought in her friend who was so tired her knuckles were dragging.  They had not made it for the five o'clock steak dinner, and then had gone to take a shower!

When signing up for Phantom, we are told firmly that late for meals means no meals.  Period.  Usually if it is possible the kids at Phantom will try to accommodate late seaters, but they don't have to.  Hint: they are doing a big, huge favor, so it behooves the favoree to act a little grateful.  This gal muttered at her cold steak and said, "I'd just as soon have stew".  Then, "I am used to to eating at eight".  Sweet Anne tried to chat her up, and she finally said, "I prefer to just be quiet".  Well, we would prefer you keep quiet too, so that works.  The standard response for the rest of the weekend was "I am used to eating at eight".  

Anyhow, the next weekend we were back with old friends.  The weather was supposed to be lousy, but it turned out fine.  Hubbie had to be in Prescott, and I was expecting two inches of rain (promises, promises) so I went down by myself first thing in the morning.  I never get to hike alone and it was nice.  Though the mule riders worried about me.  I didn't tell them that one is never really alone on the Corridor Trails, I just said my husband was behind me. Several hours behind, but still.

Got into the Ranch and decided to hike to the Bright Angel and surprise those coming down.  At Pipe Creek Beach the Park Service copter came whooshing overhead.  Found out that night that it was another friend who works at the Ranch.  She fell on the Utah Flats Route and was being heli-evacted.  I told her later I would have waved had I know it was she.

Hung around and took pictures and got bored and walked back and, surprise!  They had decided to come down the SK because the weather was going to be lousy.  Oh, well.

I have new high-cut boots to break in.  I wore them to Skeleton twice, and then to Plateau Point, so I took them on this trip, and they gave me bruises on the ankles.  Ingrates.
almost there

out
The weatherpersons said two inches of rain, then two inches of snow, so I took the ice grippers and it rained maybe a quarter inch total.  WE NEED RAIN, y'all.  The weather was so nice coming out that Daine abandoned her partner in crime to walk back with us.  She said she was joining "the zen group".  I like that.  I think I'll use it the next time I have some people take their time coming out.

No comments: