Friday, January 31, 2014

We have broken the 130 year record now for days without precipitation.  As I was coming out the South Kaibab today, little white things were dotting the trail, and I thought, "What's blowing down from the trees?  Oh!  Snow!".

Haven't been on the trail in Two Weeks!  We have been babying Brad's calf and just walking the Rim Trail. Which is like 200 percent more than most Americans do, but still.  Made it to the breccia pipe before his calf started stiffening up.  Those water bars are deadly.
Snow at last! Snow at last!
Saw NO ONE for like an hour and a half.  I was hoping not to see anyone until Cedar Ridge on the way out, and thus break our record, but an over-achieving lady hiker met us at the Supai  footprints.  Oh, well.  

I know people mean well when they say, "Oh, you're almost out!".  Like, yeah, I can see the rim?  And they don't know, the little darlings, that every single other hiker we have met that day has told us we are almost out.  Sometimes they say that when we are not.  A mule wrangler once told me at Two Mile Corner that I was "almost out".  I answered, "Well, if I left from the River, I am almost out.  If I left from Indian Garden, I am halfway out.  If I left from Three Mile, which in fact I did, I am one third of the way out."  That got me One Of Those Looks.  

Sometimes someone will say, "You're almost there."  Then I can respond, "According to Buddha, I am there."  

Once trudging out with a group of ladies, a gentleman stood to the side for us (uphill has the right of way!), and as we passed he enthused, "You ladies look radiant!"

Much better than "you're almost out".  

No comments: