Monday, January 20, 2014

Tried to get to Skeleton today, but Brad's calf started acting up badly.  One little session on the wobble board... So rather than risk a bad injury we turned around at Cedar.

Cedar Ridge (3 miles RT, 1,000 feet) was our regular workout when we first moved up to the South Rim.  Skelton (6 miles RT,2,000 feet) was a long day.  Now Skeleton is the regular, and Panorama (10 miles, 3,500 feet) is the long day.  I told Brad if we keep this up, Pano will be our regular workout and we'll have to go to Ribbon Falls for a long day.

As one ages, one is told to work out regularly.  However, work out too hard, and injuries result.  Don't work out at all, and even walking across the room can trigger an injury.  Bitch, bitch, bitch.

I gave up running over thirty years ago when I pulled my calf.  I had warmed up and stretched and everything.  Then for the next ten years, about once a year that stupid calf would pull again, probably indicating that I had allowed it to heal up short.  Once in Kanab Canyon, which is an intriguing place to be hiking with a sore calf.  Anyhow, hasn't happened for over twenty years now, so it is probably gone.  But I still don't run.  Walk fast, but don't run.  Sounds like the name of a song.  Or a Dr.Who Episode:  "Don't blink.  Blink and you're dead.  They are faster than you can believe.  Don't turn your back.  Don't look away.  And don't blink.  Good luck."



And to get back to one of my pet peeves, why do people think that cigarette butts will biodegrade?  Or more likely, why don't they think at all?  I met a kid starting down who was smoking, and I said, "I hope you are carrying that butt back out".  When he laughed, I said, "I am perfectly serious".  Am also perfectly sure the next time I head down I'll find his butt(s).  Maybe vapes will be better.  Or maybe they have a  plastic insert that will be worse.  Let's just ban smokers from the Park.  No, I'm not prejudiced.

No comments: