Sunday, October 28, 2012

Nice bike ride out to Shoshone Point.  While riding I thought some more about the catered backpacking trips.

I guess these are for those bucket list people who want to hike the Canyon and get it over with.  I mean, no one is going to come back by themselves for another trip and carry fresh salmon, and avocados, and make their own cheese.  I run into people all the time who were on a trip with me and learned enough about backpacking to return on their own.  With dried food.

I remember camping at Bright Angel one night, and the site next to our had all the tent set up, and the cook was getting dinner ready.  At about dusk, a bunch of men came in with day packs.  They had just come from the North Rim, and their camp was set up, dinner was cooking, and all they had to do was sit down and light cigars, which they did.  I'm sure their guide picked up the butts when they were done.

My group was all women, and don't think we didn't make comments about carrying our OWN stuff down. 

I know someone who refers to these trips as "hand holders".  Maybe "hand holders" and "spoon feeders".


No comments: