Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How embarrassing is it to fall flat on one's face, and particularly on the South Kaibab?  Where all the grannies take their precious little ones to carve their names at Ooh Ah? 

Of course, this is where Brad fell last week.  The exact spot, in fact.  So one might conceivably blame it on the trail.

This was at "the steps", that really steep section just above Ooh Ah.  It used to be actual steps  composed of water bars, and then the trail crew filled it all in, and then the mules came back, so it is steps again, only with more dust. 

A lot of hikers complain about the mule droppings.  With the reduced number of mules these days (ten a day to Phantom, none to Plateau Point) I don't mind that so much.  It is so dry here that the green stuff tends to dry up and blow away.  It is also fun to watch the young girls squeal when they step in it.  Or near it.  Or within reasonable proximity to it.

What bothers me is said dust.  Not because of what it contains, though as Matt Slater says, it does not do to think about it too much on a really windy day.  But because it makes the trail slick.

The dust covers the rocks, so I can't see them.  When I do see them, there is a thin layer of rounded particles (which will eventually make sandstone) coating a smooth rock.  Can you say "ball bearings"?  In Supai walking back from the village in the dusk and the gloaming I almost turned my ankle several times because of the treacherous rocks hidden under the dust.  I am sure it is a plot by the Havasupai to get back at us for invading their territory. 

Anyhow, down I went, realizing halfway down that I was heading for some very hard rocks, but at least I was falling toward the INSIDE of the trail so I should stop before the bottom of the Coconino.  Bent my fingers back, but no real harm there.  Some nasty scraps on my knee (and don't think about what's in that dust and thence in my wounds).  Mostly damaging to my pride, particularly since I was talking to Bob of the Peregrine Fund and he witnessed the entire debacle.

Of course, had I not been yakking instead of watching my feet, I might not have fallen.  So maybe I'll blame it on him.  Can't be me, after all. 

No comments: