Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just finished a rim to rim which started out like Noah's worst day.  As we drove to the North Rim, we traveled in and out of thunderstorm cells.  By the time we reached the Rez, all the side streams were flooding.  Mel and I were jumping back and forth in the van, yelling, "Look at that one!  It has rapids!"  Meanwhile the more sober in the group were wondering, who are these maniacs?

Camped in the rain, got up in the fog, started down in a cloud.  The clouds parted to allow a view, then started to rain again once in camp.  I remember pitching the tent, starting to walk to the outhouse, and getting caught in an instant deluge.  I yelled, "All I wanted was to go to the bathroom!" as I ran back to the tent, and Mel (safe inside her own tent) laughed. 

Woke up at 1 AM to stars.  Hallelujah!  It kept raining, but just behind us, which made the walk through the box nice indeed.  Hiking out today it was cool and windy, much more pleasant that I had anticipated for a September rim to rim. 

I guess the lesson learned is to enjoy the weather whatever, because there you are, and it may be a blessing.  Cold on the North Rim means cool in the bottom.  As the old Girl Scout song goes (and yes, I was singing this most of the way across):

Whether the weather is cold
or whether the weather is hot,
we'll weather together, whatever the weather,
whether the weather or not.

And sometimes you get a rainbow picture.



No comments: