Saturday, October 18, 2008


Hiked South Kaibab to Bright Angel today, along the Tonto Trail. The hiker shuttle was full as a tick on the way to the trailhead, but the crowd thinned as we got down. Someone left a bottle of water and two energy bars on the rocks for pick up later. The water is OK, but the energy bars were just asking for a raven to carry them off and get sick on the foil. I grabbed them. We did ask everyone we passed if they were theirs. No takers. Ate one at Indian Garden. Tasted like chocolate covered linoleum.

Lisa from Scotland, I erased your name from the rocks. Sorry, babe. Maybe I can come to Scotland and scratch my name on the Stone of Scone and see how you like that.

Only saw one person on the Tonto. Nice and quiet sitting at Pipe Creek.
Brad was determined that some rim to rim runners were NOT going to pass him, so he blasted out from Indian Garden in 90 minutes. The first runner passed me when I stopped to pick up a piece of trash. Then just below mile and a half, the trail crew were jostling rocks around, so I had to wait to be sure they weren't going to jostle it onto my pointed head.


Hiking out we saw the baby goat again. Brad saw another kid throwing rocks over the edge at the trailhead and admonished him. The father looked as though he wanted to start a fight, but didn't want to approach Brad. Fifty or more people witnessed the rock throwing and no one said a thing. Do they not realize how dangerous it is? I mean, one doesn't throw rocks indiscriminately in the city, either. Or maybe they are just afraid of confronting morons.

No comments: