Saturday, October 11, 2008


Hiked down the Bright Angel to Indian Garden. Met a group of big horns, including a little kid. I guess they like Cinch Up Corner.

Passed by a mule train. One of the ladies was taking a video (I bet that movie will be riveting), and as she passed us she said, "And here are some hikers". Couldn't resist. I said, "Do you think you're going to forget? We're the ones walking."

Last rim to rim, I noticed a huge pile of trash at the redwall Trash Stash where people will often dump their load prior to starting up the Redwall. At the time, I had no room in my pack, so this time I brought two big trash bags and filled them with a pot, a propane bottle, a pair of boots, a pair of sneakers, a pair of Levis, and assorted other crud. Then I hauled it all down to Indian Garden and handed it over to the Ranger. (Todd told me I could do this anytime I find a stash like that). He was impressed and thanked me profusely. I gained massive karma points today.

Then when we got to the rim we yelled at a boy who was throwing rocks over the edge, and his father came over and yelled at US!. He said they are from out of state, so they didn't know they weren't supposed to throw rocks at the trailhead. We had a lively exchange, culminating in my telling him to report me to the first ranger he sees, and tell the ranger that Slim (be sure you get it right!) told his kid not to throw rocks over the edge.

No comments: