Wednesday, November 7, 2018

First I got drafted to lead a four-day intro hike down the South Kaibab and over to Indian Garden.  Go ahead: twist my arm.  The group meshed very well: it is not that unusual to have one person that everyone would leave behind if they could.  Weather was perfect.

Then the next weekend we took Paul into the Canyon for his first overnight.  He tells me that he did hike down with us once in July, the time I found a Grand Canyon Pink rattler in the middle of the trail eating a wood rat.  On that occasion, everyone but me hiked back out and I guarded the snake for a good two hours to keep it from being stepped on.

Anyhow, I got a permit for Saturday, and then got into the "walk up" line at the BCO to get a Friday night as well.  Then I had to work Friday, so we did not start down until 2:30.  It gets dark at 5:30, but we made it just in time to snag the worst campsite: the one right next to the bathroom.  This would seem ideal, except every time someone opened the door, the light flashed right in my face. 

Next morning I espied a woman packing up from my favorite site.  This one is also near the bathroom, but shielded by a thick screen of trees.  We lurked until she left, and then moved sites.  I am sure she thought I was stalking her. 

That day we hiked to Ribbon Falls.  So all in all, we did 30 miles within 48 hours.  That is harder than just hiking in and out. 
The lower route into Ribbon

Paul at ribbon falls

No comments: