Sunday, March 24, 2013

Time for the yearly pilgrimage to see the Redbud at Indian Garden.  We rode out the West Rim yesterday with binoculars, and we could see a few trees in bloom.  So we hiked down today, and maybe a dozen trees are blooming.  I assume that they will peak later this week or this weekend.  Unfortunately, I am working all week and we have guests on Saturday, so I may miss the peak this year.

Coming out nine groups yielded to the uphill (right of way) and thirteen did not.  Two of these get extra credit for making disgusted noises as I pushed through their little blood clot.  Learn the rules, people.

As A. E. Housman might say:
The loveliest of trees, the redbud now
Is hung with flame along the bough.
Poised along the Canyon trail
They make the very sunset pale.
Now of my eighty years (I pray)
Sixty will not come my way.
Take from eighty years a score
only leaves me twenty more.
And since to look at things in bloom
Twenty springs is little room
Into the Canyon then I came
To see the Redbud hung with flame.

No comments: