Sunday, January 13, 2013

Well, I lost it at the dinner table.

Over stew dinner at Phantom Ranch, someone mentioned that "they" want to put in an elevator into the Canyon, and at first I thought they referred to the old plans to install an elevator at the site of the Little Orphan Mine, and then I realized they were talking about the Confluence Tramway.

A very small minority of the Dine people are working with Anglo developers to install a tramway to the Little Colorado Confluence, with a walkway, a restaurant  and supporting helicopters and river trips.

So, thinking to educate and gather support to block this nefarious plan, I chimed in. "Oh, no, that's a gondola they want to install at the Little Colorado."

"Oh, not here.  That's OK."

"Yes, especially if it is for people who aren't physically capable of getting down here."

So I lost it.

"The Canyon is a shrine to the Hopi People!  Should we put a climbing wall on the spire at St. Patrick's Cathedral?  I'm physically incapable of climbing Everest.  Do we need a gondola to the summit?"

The lady across from me looked prettily confused, and then told her companion: "Did you hear that?  They want to put a climbing wall at St. Patrick's Cathedral!"

I believe I stared in disbelief, and then the man to my left asked for details.  So I told them, "Get online and sign the petition:  Save the Confluence."

Is this American entitlement?  If someone is "physically incapable" we have to accomodate them?  Particularly since "handicapped" people drive into closed roads all the time (with a permit, available from Park rangers) and then proceed to hop nimbly out of the car to take pictures?  They can't hop nimbly in and out of the shuttle busses, one supposes.

I'm afraid of exposure.  So I am mentally incapable of climbing Woton's Throne.  So let's put a gondola up that, also.

I can't sing like Cher.  So let me lip-sinc to her recordings and get paid for it.

I can't paint like Van Gogh.  So let me put my own signature on his work.  

We all have limitations.  We need to emphasize our abilities instead of capitalizing on our incapabilities.

Also, go to Save the Confluence and sign the petition.  

No comments: