Tuesday, August 7, 2012

It is particularly frustrating to totally clean up a graffiti mess and find another mess waiting a few hours later.

We were hiking down the North Kaibab to the Redwall Bridge and I spent several minutes cleaning up Coconino Overlook.  When we wended our way back up, lo and behold, there was graffiti again!  Names, tic-tac-toe games, and more names.  

I declaimed loudly that a graffitinator’s work is never done and hauled out my scrub brush.  At which point what to my wondering eyes should appear but our new Park Superindent who declaimed, “Oh, that means those kids who just left did this?”

He pulled out an iPhone for pictures, then an NPS radio.  When we reached the top, there was a bus full of kids surrounded by every law enforcement ranger in the park.  

Yes!  Vindicated!  If every rock head who scratched his/her name on the walls was tagged by the LE rangers, I bet the problem would vanish.  

Then the LE rangers asked if I had, indeed, cleaned up Coconino Overlook.  When I modestly admitted yes, it was one of the many services I provide, they genuflected in my presence, because it meant THEY did not have to go down and do it themselves.  

No comments: